Magnolia

Magnolia

Monday, February 26, 2024

July 1, 2014.  That was my Retirement Day.  I can't believe I am approaching the 15 year mark of retirement.  It seems like just yesterday I was flying out of Karachi, Pakistan on my way to 3 days in Santorini, Greece.  That was the gift to myself for serving my final 2 years in Pakistan.  I was only 65 and was totally against being forced to retire at that age. But that was the rule for the Foreign Service so I had to comply. 

I had served for a full 6 years, getting in just under the age of 59, the cut off age for joining.  I could do three 2-year tours and then out.  I had no time for language training so I couldn't even try for a post where I had to speak the language. I served in Honduras (I'm fluent in Spanish), Oman and Pakistan.  I loved it all.  Yes Pakistan did had its moments but so did Honduras.  Honduras is one of the most dangerous countries with more murders per capita than any other country in the world.  And in Pakistan I had 5 full time guards at my house and traveled with one to go shopping, get my hair done or to a doctor's appointment. But it was doable.

Once I got home, had all my belongings delivered in 3 different deliveries and got settled into a routine, I thought...How great is it that every day is Saturday???  I immediately got back into selling on Ebay and within months I had a booth at an antique mall selling treasures I found at Estate Sales.  I loved it and decided retirement was a golden opportunity to do what I wanted, when I wanted to do it and for how long.  

When I processed out in Washington DC, I signed on to do TDY (Temporary Duty) assignments. A year after I retired, I got an email asking if I would like to go to Singapore for an 8 week assignment supporting the Regional Security Office (RSO)?  Oh yeah!  Loved that assignment!  The following year, I went to Kuala Lumpur to support the Ambassador for 6 weeks.  Loved that one too.  The following year, I went to Brunei for 4 1/2 months.  That assignment was amazing, also supporting the Ambassador there.  While at each of these assignments, I found myself saying to co-workers "When I get home, I want to..."  As much as I loved the travel and once again working with others, I realized that I had things I wanted to do at home. The money was great but what's life if you can't do what you want?  So when I got the email telling me it was time to renew my Top Secret clearance, I read it over and over and decided I was done.  Done with being away. Done with living out of 2 suitcases.  Just done.  So I replied back that I no longer needed that clearance.  

I made so many friends and now I live vicariously through their Facebook posts. I love when they are excited about their next assignment. I love seeing pictures of their R&Rs and regional travel. But I also love that I can travel when I want but have my own home and bed.  While serving overseas, I traveled as much as I could. Flights are cheap and I took advantage of it. I went to Paris for Christmas, Kenya for a photo safari, Italy for 3 weeks, Bangkok for some training, Spain for fun, Bali because it's amazing, Istanbul cuz it's my heritage, Sri Lanka with a friend (climbed Sigiriya, a huge ROCK, the ruins of a 5th century city) and Dubai, going to the top of the tallest building in the world (at that time).  Oh, and Antigua, Guatemala for Easter Week.  

If you are looking for a terrific job with lots of perks, look into serving in the Foreign Service.  You can go to usajobs.gov.  Qualifications?  When I was in training, there was a FedEx driver and she made it in.  Have good health and a good credit report. A background check will be performed by the FBI so you should have a good record.  I had a background in Medical Management and that helped me start at a slightly higher pay.  

Honestly, you won't regret it.  One of my proudest moments was in Karachi. I noticed that none of the 200+ local guards on compound only had badges (no photo) from the company we contracted with. With my boss' blessings, I took on getting each and every one of them an official US badge with photo.  They were so proud and when I was done, I was asked to speak to the entire group.  I loved it! Here I am with a few of the guards.  I girl can never have too much protection!

Me with My Guards



No comments: