Magnolia

Magnolia

Thursday, April 16, 2009

April in Paris..er I Mean Tegucigalpa

Well, it's April where I live...Tegucigalpa, Honduras. It's that time of year when all the farmers (and whoever else) want to clear their fields to get ready to plant this years crop. I'm thinking maybe someone should let them know about plowing under the leftover dead plants or even cutting them down to feed the many skin and bone horses and cows I see all the time. Below are 2 pictures. One was taken last year around September while looking out my window at work. The other was taken today from the same window. That smoke will linger until the rainy season, which starts sometime in July. Then the torrential downpours will wash all the smoke away and commence to flood the streets and wreck havoc. I love the word havoc. And knucklehead. I digress....back to the smoke issues.



This is the 'before' shot. Note the clear view of the mountains, the clear picture of the houses. Well, make that shacks. Over 80% of ths country live below the poverty level, with an average annual income of around $1500US. Annual.

And then we have today's shot below, with lots of smoke and a really big polution factor. The news says it's a combination of the smoke from burning fields here and from neighboring Central American countries and just plain old pollution. I'm supposed to fly to Utila Friday but when the visibility gets bad, some planes just won't start their engines here. Wish me luck...I can't wait to get snorkeling in the ocean.

In the meantime, does anyone have about 100 huge fans we can place stratigically here and there to help blow the smoke away??







2 comments:

lewis said...

That is the sme way they cleared land in Costa Rica when I lived there. Biggest problem was when the electric lines burned also. Well I guess that there wasn't a John Deere rep around even if they could affort one. And clear it by hand to feed the animals just too much work or not enought manpower?

Debi said...

I think if there was a bit more education here so much could improve. I planted some green beans in my garden and my maid Gloria was amazed that you could grow your own. I brought her back several packets of seeds for her to plant at home...and educate her daughter.